Here are 5 home safety tips for Boomers and Seniors:
- Set the thermostat on the water heater no higher than 120° F to prevent scalding
- Add a “clapper” light switch to control lamps or check out other remote control switching options.
- Remove throw rugs. If carpet is necessary, installing low-pile rug can be better than shag. Having carpet stretched or removed can eliminate bumps.
- Paint the bottom step a different color to better distinguish the last step from the basement floor.
- A device that enables a ringing doorbell to trigger a flashing light — including existing house lamps and special strobes for rooms where lamps aren’t generally used — lets your loved one know if someone is at the door.
Need to find a real estate agent near Walnut Creek CA? Dayna Wilson serves the East Bay communities of Orinda, Lafayette, Moraga, Walnut Creek, Alamo, Danville, Pleasant Hill, Concord, Clayton and Martinez. A certified Seniors Real Estate Specialist ®, Dayna helps boomers and seniors with the financial and emotional challenges encountered when selling a long-held family home.